Originally I was thinking of putting jelly beans inside of these cookies but the reality of a cooked jelly bean inside a cookie didn't sound very good. So I ended up using candy-coated chocolates.
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
candy coated chocolate or jelly beans or gumdrops or chocolate covered peanuts
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large mixer bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until softened (about 30 seconds). Add sugar and salt and beat until fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
4. With mixer on low speed gradually beat in flour until well mixed.
5. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Press a piece of desired candy in center of each and shape the dough aroudn it so you can't see the candy. Place balls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Place powdered sugar in a plastic bag. With a pancake turner transfer 2 or 3 cookies at a time to the bag of powdered sugar. Gently shake cookies in powdered sugar until coated. Cool on a cooling rack. When cool, gently shake cookies again in powdered sugar.