Friday, June 30, 2006

My Tomato Peace Tart

Kady's Tomato Peace Tart
What do you do when you have a basket of delicious yellow cherry tomatoes and a bag of red vine-ripe tomatoes? Make a tomato tart, of course!

I used to have a recipe for a mozzarella, basil, tomato tart that sounded delicious but I misplaced it. So I searched all of my cookbooks and major recipe sites online and I couldn't find any tarts with a tart crust and a cooked center. That's when I got creative.

The reason I call this a tomato peace tart is because the center slice of tomato I used looks almost like a peace sign. It's very hippie-esque and extremely tasty. My husband and I ate it up immediately between a late snack and breakfast this morning. This would be a great dish to bring to a potluck dinner, lunch, or brunch.

Tomato Peace Tart

1 baked parmesean black pepper tart crust from Epicurious
Several cloves of Roasted Garlic
Leftover Homemade Pesto
Fresh mozzarella (log-style is best) that has drained over paper towels to release moisture
Tomatoes of your choice (I used yellow cherry and red vine-ripe tomatoes), seeded
Fresh basil

1.) Follow instructions for making and baking the tart crust by clicking link above. You may subsitute the shortening for more cold butter if you don't have any shortening on hand. Take tart crust out of oven but do not shut off oven.

2.)Raise oven temperature to 400-425 degrees.

3.)Spread roasted garlic evenly over the bottom of the tart crust.

4.)Spread a thin layer of pesto along the bottom of the crust.

5.)Lay thin slices of the fresh mozzarella over the bottom of the crust. Be sure to fill in spaces with shredded fresh mozzarella.

6.)Arrange slices of tomatoes on top of the mozzarella but be sure to get rid of any excess moisture on the tomatoes.

7.)Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the crust has browned, and the tomatoes have withered a bit (but don't look mushy).

8.)Take a paper towel and gently soak up any moisture/water that may have been released during baking.

9.)Sprinkle with sliced fresh basil (you can do this before you bake it if you prefer).


Enjoy!

No comments: