Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sally Lunn Bread


I used to make Sally Lunn bread all of the time growing up but somehow forgot about it since I've been in CA. So I just got the family recipe from my mom and made it today. In the past I always baked it in a loaf pan but today I followed the directions and baked it in a brownie pan. I think I prefer it in a loaf pan.

This bread is slightly sweet and is perfect for breakfast (with jam) or dinner (with butter).



SALLY LUNN BREAD

2 c. flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beat until stiff, not dry
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift and measure the flour. Add the baking powder, sugar and salt and sift again.

3. Beat the egg yolks and add the milk. Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients. Stir lightly just to blend the two mixtures. Add the melted butter.

4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold them into the batter. (The egg whites should be beaten and ready or the baking powder starts to work before you get the whites incorporated).

5. Bake in a buttered 8 in square pan for 30 min. Cut into 2 inch squares and serve piping hot.

No comments: