Thursday, November 02, 2006

Apple-Oat Muffins

Apple-Oat Muffins
Last Christmas I got my mom a subscription to Vegetarian Times because she was trying to cook more healthy meals with less meat. Well, that gift idea failed because she just passed the magazines off to me without trying any of the recipes. So she gets to wait and see if the recipes turn out well for me before she tries to make them.

Most recipes in Vegetarian Times are super simple or they require vegan products that I won't spend the money on . However, occasionally I find something delicious to make.

Before I went on bedrest I made a batch of Apple-Oat Muffins from VT that were delicious and much healthier than the average muffin.

Apple-Oat Muffins
01-MAR-06, Vegetarian Times

Makes 12 -- Low-fat

This muffin is so delicious and moist, it’s one of our top 5 favorite recipes in the issue. The batter fills the muffin cups more than most recipes, but it won’t overflow when baked.

2 cups peeled, finely diced apples, such as McIntosh (2 to 3 medium apples)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 oz. plain low-fat yogurt (1 cup)
1/4 cup non-fat milk
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 12 standard muffin pan cups with cooking spray.

2. Place diced apple on paper towels to drain; pat dry. Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl, and stir with whisk. Combine yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla and egg in small bowl and stir to blend. Make well in center of flour mixture; add milk mixture, stirring just until moist. Mix in apple.

3. Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Bake 20 minutes, or until muffins spring back when pressed lightly in center. Remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.

PER SERVING: 174 CAL; 4 G PROT; 3 G TOTAL FAT (0 SAT. FAT); 32 G CARB.; 19 MG CHOL; 248 MG SOD.; 1 G FIBER; 16 G SUGARS

Apple-Oat Muffins

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kady!

These muffins are right up my alley! I love muffins made with yogurt- they are so moist. How are you? I still own you an email! Hope you are doing well- I'm thinking about you.

Lesath said...

oh my lord thank you for these. i doubled the cinnamon and added some nutmeg. jesus god they are tasty.