Sunday, March 25, 2007

Chocolatier



About a month ago, I received an email from a woman who offered me a chance to try Nestle's new baking chocolate and review it on my blog.* She works for an internet marketing agency called M80 that is promoting Chocolatier by Nestle. I was hesitant because in the past when I have done that I wasn't impressed with the product. However, she insisted that I could be honest and why would I pass up a chance for free chocolate? I mean, really!

So I picked up some baking bars and chips and headed home to decide what to make with this new baking chocolate. While I don't like Nestle's chocolate for eating, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and use their baking chocolate for one of my favorite recipes.

The best chocolate bundt cake I've ever made was from an issue of Cook's Illustrated. The cake is moist, always comes out of the pan nicely, and is chocolate-y without being too rich. This would be the perfect recipe to see if the chocolate could pass the test.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. It tasted the same as I remembered it. The other time I had made this cake I used Scharffen Berger and Ghiradelli. Unless my memory fails me, this tasted the same as when I had made it with the other reputable brands.

Perhaps this recipe** is so good that you can use any chocolate? I decided to put Chocolatier to the test and see how it tastes in a slightly more "pure" form. See my post below for the results.


*In case you're wondering, I didn't get paid for reviewing the chocolate. So if anyone else has any free chocolate they want me to review. Please, contact me. (grin)

**I found the recipe already posted as a comment here.




No comments: