Friday, October 27, 2006

Lemon Festival

On Saturday, October 21st I convinced my parents to let me leave the house and go to the Lemon Festival in nearby Goleta, CA. The festival ended up being fairly small and mostly centered around children but it was still fun nonetheless.

Our first sample of lemon goods was a nice cold cup of fresh Lemonade. My criteria for a good lemonade is tartness, a mild sweetness, and a fresh taste. Fortunately this lemonade passed the test.

fresh lemonade

If I had felt like walking around the festival more I might have eaten a bratwurst or tried some lemon ice cream. Since I was actually hoping I could convince my friend (who was visiting at the time) to go to a local Hawaiian/burger joint I knew there was only one more "must eat" at the fair.

Before we left we tried a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie ($2, they also had lemon bars) from a local bakery; I believe it was Anna's bakery. The pie looked average and I wasn't really expecting much since I've had a lot of bad lemon meringue pie in my day. However, I have to say this was the best lemon meringue pie (aside from one I made about a year ago) that I've ever had. I can't pinpoint it's strongest feature but I think it was just the fresh lemon flavor balanced with the perfectly fluffy meringue. It had just the right kick of lemon without being too intense.

lemon meringue pie

So the Lemon Festival ended up being a lot more low-key than I was hoping but it was still an enjoyable afternoon and it's a good day when you have a tasty fresh lemonade and pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kady. I am in desperate search of a good lemon meringue pie for my husband. Can you post the recipe that you reference in this post?

Thank you and hope you are doing well with your pregnancy!

Gourmetish said...

My mom got the recipe from someone who found it online. It's actually easy to find on google. Just google: Ann Lander's Best Lemon Meringue Pie recipe and you'll find it. I only made it once but thought that it was quite tasty.