Saturday, September 02, 2006

Royal Thai

This past week I've been MIA because my mom was in town visiting. We did plenty of eating so I'll have several new posts to share this week.

On Thursday we went to the convention center because my mom loves quilting and they were having their annual San Diego Quilt Show this weekend. After a few hours of walking around the show we were starved and tired. Since the gaslamp is right across the street we went there for a late lunch.

One of the closest restaurants that was open was Royal Thai on 5th Ave. They were having a lunch special which included soup, salad, rice, spring roll, and entree for about $7-$9 each. Great deal. But did it taste good?

The soup of the day arrived first and wasn't much to look at but had a great flavor. It was mildly spicy with a black pepper flavor and included noodles, scallions, and a few veggies. Despite the warm day, I found this soup to be very comforting.


Soup of the day from Royal Thai

Next our lunch specials arrived. My mom ordered the Hot Thai Basil chicken which wasn't very spicy (she specified "mild" when she ordered) but had a great flavor and the white meat chicken wasn't dried out like it often is in these specials. I ordered the Drunken Noodles with shrimp and didn't specify how spicy I wanted them so they had quite a kick. Even though the photo (below) isn't the most appetizing picture, I thought the meal was very satisfying and a great deal. It was actually a LOT of food.

Drunken Noodles Lunch Special from Royal Thai

Service was very attentive despite the fact that it was towards the end of their lunch shift and I thought the atmosphere was tasteful enough(especially for dinner time when they put out nicer place settings).

If you work or live near the Gaslamp you should definitely check this place out. You can't beat $8 for an all-inclusive lunch.

Royal Thai

467 5th Ave, San Diego, 92101 - (619) 230-8424

No comments: