Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Calamari Fritti

Calamari
Last night I knew I had to use the calamari that I had de-thawed in my fridge before it went bad. Since it was already 10pm and we were starving, I decided to make a quick calamari; something I've never done before. Now that I own a deep fryer it's a fairly easy meal to make.

I had an unopened box of corn flakes and heard that they made a good coating for calamari. So, I coated the squid in flour, then an egg/milk mixture (1 egg, 1 T. milk), and a final coating of crunched up corn flakes. Then I deep fried each batch for 1-2 minutes until golden.

The calamari were really good. I served them with a roasted red pepper marinara sauce on the side. The calamari were much more tender than I expected (since they had been previously frozen) and the corn flakes provided the perfect crunch and flavor. It didn't even need any spices (although some spice wouldn't have hurt the dish).

For a quick snack or appetizer I definitely recommend making calamari fritti with corn flakes! Or, if you're like me, it can make a quick late-night meal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...but what kind of oil did you use??? don't you love having a home fryer-we put all kinds of fried goodies out-especially our very own deep fried lobster

Gourmetish said...

Hi Elle, I always use canola oil in my deep fryer but I sometimes use peanut oil for Asian goodies and I heard you can use olive oil for deep frying but I can't bear to waste olive oil (I'm cheap). I'm fascinated by the idea of deep fried lobster. Sounds yummy and in a way extravagent!

Gourmetish said...

P.S. Just saw your website...now I see why you asked about the oil! :)