Monday, April 03, 2006

Avacado Pate

Avacado Pate on Pita Chips
My favorite go-to appetizer for last minute guests is Avacado pate. I got the recipe from an old Australian Women's Weekly Entertaining Cookbook but I lost it a while ago so I've just been making my own version.

This dip is fantastic served with pita chips. When I make pita chips for myself I just cut pita into triangles, peel apart the layers, and toast. However, if I'm serving this to guests I place the triangles on a big cookie sheet, brush them with melted butter, and sprinkle them with Italian seasoning before toasting in the oven.

Avacado Pate
based on a recipe from a vintage Australian Women's Weekly Entertaining cookbook

3 medium avacados, pitted, peeled and chopped
4 oz. cream cheese
1 medium garlic clove and 1 small shallot (or another medium garlic clove), diced
Juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

1.) Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.

2.) Strain in a fine-mesh sieve to remove white pieces of cream cheese.

3.) Scoop into serving dish and chill for several hours before serving so that the flavors can meld and the dip can stiffen.

Optional: For an even better presentation place whole or halved pistachios (shelled) on top of the dip before chilling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this just sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

THAT is luxurious!