Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Mango Salsa


For some reason I've been craving tacos this week (maybe I need iron?) and finally went to the grocery store today. Ever since I made mango salsa to go with my tacos a year ago I can't get enough of mangos with tacos. So tonight I made a mango salsa and gaucamole.



Tonight's mango salsa was slightly different than I usually make it. I make my salsas based on the balance of color. The only color that should stand out should be the mango yellow. Everything is diced and mixed with lime juice, a little olive oil, and cilantro. Tonight's mango salsa ingredients include: mango (duh), celery, English cucumber, red onion, serrano chiles, and fresh ginger. The mango was just ripe so it wasn't mushy yet. Mango salsa tastes even better in tacos when it's mushy. Usually I make it with scallions instead of red onion and the type of chile changes each time.

Salsas are my favorite homemade condiment/sauce besides aioli because they're easy, super flavorful, and oh-so-pretty. Nutritionists always say to eat colorfully and salsas are the perfect way to achieve that goal.

3 comments:

kitchenmage said...

I love fresh fruit salsas and that looks really good. Sadly, it's Feb. in Washington so mangos are a bit distant. Ah well, something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for tacos! Pretty salsa, too!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I love mango salsa too. My favorite way to eat it is on top of a blue cheese quesadilla, but it sounds like a perfect match for tacos too. Yum!